Monday, March 16, 2009

"You know we are supposed to do science after lunch..."


Jimie and I had the Jr./Sr. High math and science classes pretty much to ourselves today! Normally the students would have math in the morning and science in the afternoon, but since Jason, the principal, knows they haven't made much progress in math this year, we are focusing on basic skills to prepare for the tests coming in April. Its great to have so much time with the students and to have a real chance to get to know them--much better than the observing I expected to be doing! (<- See the Russian Mission HS math room)

After school our brains were fried, so Jimie and I trekked around and checked out "up town" and the main store. We met two of our students on the walk and we were pleased to hear them each say "See you tomorrow morning!" with a genuine smile--I guess we didn't do too badly! (See one of the 3 village stores ->)
(<- See Russian Mission from the hilltop)
I walked into the high school gym after dinner to find the attendance secretary and several of the older boys practicing the one-foot high kick. A tennis ball was suspended from a basketball hoop and the boys ran up to it almost as if the do a lay-up but then jumped into the air, kicked the ball, and managed to land with incredible poise. Very impressive! (I don't have a picture but here's a link to a good one! http://www.kativik.net/ulluriaq/Nunavik/inuitlife/teenagers/inuitgames/1footHK.html)

7 comments:

  1. Erika,
    Great stories. How expensive is the food in the the stores? Tell us more about your students.
    Ute

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is insane!! 3 stores!?!? You needa come back home! I guess we take living in Fairbanks for granted even though we really dont have much here :P

    Come back home!!! WE MISS YOU!!!
    --Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so small!! i thought we had it bad :p but it sounds like hey know how to entertain themselves haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO they even pay for their food or do they trade like fur to meat? MAybe they go hunting instead of buying food?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey miss burr.. the area you live in looks smaller than north pole.. but i bet its adventure to be in a different part of alaska.... we miss you..and i hope your having a great time!!!!!!!!!
    Cassie Granger

    ReplyDelete
  6. jez looks small. hah is it?
    anyways we miss you loads (:
    come back soon, tay? its all
    lonely-ish here. bibi
    hnng<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey how u been miss burr. class is boring now that u left lol. i hope ur havn fun were not!

    ReplyDelete