
We arrived about an hour early in Russian Mission, and after ten minutes of searching for well-packed gloves, Jason, the principal showed up with his son (about 4 years old) and took us to see the school. We were soon told that the math/science teacher had vacated his apartment and taken all of his belongings to a medical appointment in Texas…so we were two math interns showing up to a teacher-less classroom! Jason said he’d have us teaching as much as possible : S !
The sun is out and the wind isn’t too strong so we may go out exploring a bit. It’s hard to believe we are here!
Hi Erika,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you made it to RM. It seems you two have a full time job already! I told you- math teachers are in high demand :). We are looking forward learning more about your students, the school, and village. Good night.
Ute
PS Nice photo - At first I thought the plane and the pilot...
Hi Erika, It's a good thing you were there to help Jimie find his gear! It sounds like the two of you will be VERY busy the whole week. I'm certain the staff and students are grateful for your help. Where's YOUR picture:)? We look forward to following your adventures inside and outside of the classroom.
ReplyDeleteDiane
Glad you made it in one piece, Erika. Don't take your eyes off Jimie. You're in charge of him and his equipment.
ReplyDeleteAre you going to be posting more pictures? I hope so.
Good luck teaching. I bet you'll be able to come up with some good lessons that interest the students. I am eager to hear what you learn.
Keep us posted.
Hi Erika, This sounds like a very typical and exciting rural adventure. At least you have a place to stay other than the library floor. Please let us know how many students you have. Are there students who qualify for accommodations and modifications with their IEP? How are you adjusting your lessons to meet everyone's needs? This is always a challenge and I'm sure you will do a great job. Good Luck!!! Happy Teaching!!! Joanne
ReplyDeleteHey Ms. Burr! That sounds crazy, two math interns with no teacher! but you are a great teacher and those kids will learn alot from you. I know i did! I hope you have fun while working!
ReplyDeleteMeghan Towne
Joanne-
ReplyDeleteWe almost were able to sit in on a IEP this afternoon, but the principal asked us to go to a meeting with the elementary teachers. I'm am staying with Judy, the Special Ed teacher, and she gave me some insights to how it works in RSM. Unfortunately, the students have a pretty negative idea of SpEd because they equate it with severe disabilities. Most of the students who receive services don't want others to know (though in a small community!) and several don't want anything to do with the SpEd program. The meeting today was apparently for a student who wants out of the program. We have one student who is the same age as those in our highest level class, but has serious learning disabilities. He likes to follow along with the rest of the class, but for reading, the language arts teacher provided a book and reading guides more at his level, and the math program the students use allows him to work at his own level.
Yesturday a ambulance came to the school and took a teacher to the hospital who had a heart attack I think.
ReplyDelete