Thursday, March 19, 2009

Last day teaching in Russian Mission :(


We had great turn-out in our first class this morning, but after that attendance was pretty thin while the students completed required English proficiency exams. The other teachers don't really think this is necessary since English really is the students' first and primary language! (In the morning I finally got to go down to the elementary to see Darcy work her magic with the fifth graders!)

After school Jimie and I straightened up the classroom and left some worksheets and notes to help out our successor. I really wish there was more we could do for these students, but it is pretty much out of our hands for now!

We were treated to yet another gourmet dinner at Dave's (the social studies and shop teacher). He prepared halibut and basmati rice and Judy brought steamed asparagus and angel food cake! It was a fun relaxing meal visiting with Dave, John, and Judy about teaching, traveling, and fishing/hunting "in the bush".

For our last romp about the village, Jimie and I set off towards the dump past which there is a lake. On our way we ran into a bunch of elementary students who ended up following around all evening. It started with a game of tag and only ended after passing by the lake, the city gym, the convenience store and the school. We had to be very firm to convince the last two that we were really done playing at 9:45. I can see that it would be an important first step to lay down some boundaries with the little ones!

3 comments:

  1. Great report and photos. Looking forward to hearing more about this.
    Ute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time was had by all. See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like good eats in Russian Mission! They're eating better than we are! ha!
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete